Haggis, tha gaol agam ort!!

Although many people may raise their eyebrows in bewilderment when hearing how popular haggis, the national dish of Scotland, is among Scots, it really is considered a gastronomic delicacy.

Haggis is made of minced and seasoned sheep and lamb's interiors encased in sheep's stomach. Revolting as it may sound, it has an incredibly savoury and rich taste.
I have eaten it myself a couple of times when it came to some celebrations such as Burns supper. The dish is known as 'haggis neeps and tatties' and it consists of haggis, mashed potatoes and mashed pumpkin.
I have to admit I was one of those sceptic that kept saying 'I am NEVER going to try haggis!' but when I tried it.... well, I have to admit that it tastes great.


Haggis can be part of a Scot's everyday diet, but because of its highly caloric values it is better consumed on special occasions. As I have witnessed myself, a haggis feast is made on Burns supper, and story is told that haggis comes from  Robert Burns’ poem Address to a Haggis written in 1787.  Here is the first stanza:


Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face, 
Great chieftain o' the pudding-race! 
Aboon them a' ye tak your place, 
Painch, tripe, or thairm : 
Weel are ye wordy o'a grace 
As lang's my arm.

Never step back if offered a haggis! It is an enjoyable dish and Scottish people are deeply proud of it.



See you next time for another exciting deep-diving into Scottish culture!!

giubal

No comments:

Post a Comment